Our onsite training includes live, instructor-led demonstrations that align with specific learning objectives.
AWS EC2 Environments
For the duration of the course, each student receives four EC2 instances to design and deploy a MemSQL cluster.
With your team and your deployed MemSQL Cluster, work-on student labs and solve specific use case challenges.
- Fundamental concepts of MemSQL real-time, in-memory distributed architecture
- Installing aggregators and leaves including advanced installation scenarios
- Operating MemSQL with MemSQL Ops
- Securing MemSQL and MemSQL Ops
- Managing offline and online upgrades for MemSQL Ops and MemSQL
- Backup strategy for disaster recovery
- Operating MemSQL for high availability and durability
MemSQL issues digital certificates that can be verified. Students can add their digital certificate to their LinkedIn profiles.
- Software Requirements
- LAB: Verify SSH Access to EC2
- Student AWS EC2 Instances
- Student Downloads
- Architecture Concepts
- LAB: Configure your AWS Host Instances
- Rowstore and Columnstore -- Rowstore
- Rowstore and Columnstore -- Columnstore
- LAB: Manual Installation of MemSQL with the MemSQL Tarball
- Data Distribution
- Distributed Joins
- Reference Tables
- LAB: Create the db_mycompany Database
- Designing a Cluster
- Expanding a Cluster
- Appendix: A Deeper Look into MemSQL's Columnstore implementation
- Installing MemSQL
- Installing MemSQL Tools
- LAB: Manual Installation of MemSQL with MemSQL Tools
- Advanced Installation Scenarios
- LAB: Automated Installation of MemSQL with MemSQL Tools
- MemSQL Tools Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Common Shell Scripts with MemSQL Tools
- LAB: Install MemSQL Studio
- LAB: Install MemSQL Client
- Securing MemSQL
- MemSQL Client to Custer and Node to Node Security
- Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
- Row Level Security
- Synchronizing Permissions
- LAB: Securing MemSQL
- Appendix: Setting the root user password
- Upgrade MemSQL Ops
- LAB: Upgrade MemSQL Tools
- MemSQL Offline and Online Upgrade
- LAB: Upgrade MemSQL with MemSQL Tools
- Resource Governance
- Backup and Restore
- AWS S3 Backups
- Backup History
- LAB: Backup to and Restore from S3
- Transaction Models
- High Availability
- Cluster Replication
- LAB: Snapshot a Database
- Failover and Recovery
- LAB: Kill a paired Leaf node
- LAB: Manually Promote a Slave Partition to Master
- Logging, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting
- Appendix: Explain, Analyze, Profile
- Appendix: MemSQL kill scenarios
- Appendix: Working with MemSQL Support
- Course Survey: Please help us improve
- Requirements for Certification
- MemSQL Administrator Certification Exam
Our onsite administrator training course runs for two full days, typically from 9AM to 5PM.
The time commitment is about 8 hours per day, including lunch and breaks.
Throughout each day, your instructor introduces new topics using live demonstrations. Topics align with specific learning objectives.
In your digital course player, for each new topic, your instructor releases presentations, student labs, white papers, and ebooks.
During your training, you complete hands-on labs, solve challenges, and review your new knowledge with quizzes.
With instructor-led training, you ask questions about student labs, live demonstrations, and quiz questions. Our instructors are MemSQL experts that answer your questions.
At the end of the 2 days, you take your final course exam.
To achieve certification, you complete the course and pass the exam.
How does MemSQL create onsite training courses?
We design our onsite courses to align with professional certification and on-the-job success. We employ the ADDIE model to design and develop our education content. We Analyze needs, Design the learning, Develop the curriculum, Implement the onsite training course, and Evaluate the performance. We also employ an agile methodology for curriculum and courseware development. Based on student feedback and success, we regularly improve our education content.
How many people can attend onsite training?
Typically, the maximum number of students is 12 for onsite training. That said, if you have more than 12 students, we will happily work with you to make sure everyone gets trained.
Can both onsite and remote team members participate in onsite training?
Our onsite trainings are packed with live demonstrations, hands-on exercises, interactive discussions, and review questions. Experience tells us that combining both onsite and virtual students is on one hand extremely distracting for onsite students and on the other hand disengaging for virtual students. For our instructors, there are also technical challenges associated with combining both virtual and onsite delivery of our training. For these reasons, we are unable to combine onsite and virtual students in one training event. To receive the best learning experience, we recommend that remote team members enroll in virtual training or a self-paced course.
How does MemSQL qualify your instructors for onsite training?
Only MemSQL Certified Instructors deliver MemSQL training. MemSQL Certified Instructors are MemSQL experts that have already achieved MemSQL certification.
Does onsite training include the certification exam for the course?
Yes, the certification exam is included with the onsite training course. We bundle the certification exam with the course. The exam can only be taken with the course. You can learn more about certification here.
What do I need to participate in onsite training?
We run all our trainings as BYOL, Bring Your Own Laptop. You need to be able to SSH into an Amazon EC2 instance using a provided PE or ppk key and public IP. MemSQL supplies the pem and ppk keys, student license, and Amazon EC2 hosts that you use for student labs. Using either Chrome or Firefox, students access education content and curriculum materials from a web-based, digital course player.
How do I get access to the course materials for onsite training?
As an enrolled student in an onsite training course, you will have access to course materials using the course player. The course player includes downloads of presentation materials, ebooks, white papers, and code examples.
For how long do I have access to the course player?
After enrollment, you can access your course for up to one year.
Does MemSQL offer a discount for bundling MemSQL Administrator and MemSQL Developer onsite trainings?
Yes, we offer a significant discount of 50% off the second course. Inquire about our MemSQL Quick Start Onsite Training Bundle.