Our virtual training includes live, instructor-led demonstrations that align with specific learning objectives.
AWS EC2 Environments
For the duration of the course, each student receives four EC2 instances to design and deploy a MemSQL cluster.
In your deployed MemSQL Cluster, work-on student labs and solve specific use case challenges.
- Fundamental concepts of MemSQL real-time, in-memory distributed architecture
- Installing aggregators and leaves including advanced installation scenarios
- Operating MemSQL with MemSQL Tools including Studio
- Securing MemSQL
- Managing offline and online upgrades for MemSQL with MemSQL Tools
- Backup strategy for disaster recovery
- Operating MemSQL for high availability and durability
MemSQL issues digital certificates that can be verified. Students can add their digital certificate to their LinkedIn profiles.
- Course Overview
- Software Requirements
- 6.7 LAB Verify SSH Access to EC2
- WebEx Details
- Student AWS EC2 Instances
- Student Downloads
- Session 1: MemSQL 6.7 Administrator Video Recording
- Session 2: MemSQL 6.7 Administrator Video Recording
- Session 3: MemSQL 6.7 Administrator Video Recording
- Session 4: MemSQL 6.7 Administrator Video Recording
- Architecture Concepts
- 6.7 LAB Configure your AWS Host Instances
- Rowstore and Columnstore -- Rowstore
- Rowstore and Columnstore -- Columnstore
- 6.7 LAB Install the MemSQL tarball Manually
- Data Distribution
- Distributed Joins
- Reference Tables
- 6.7 LAB Create the db_mycompany Database
- Designing a Cluster
- Expanding a Cluster
- Appendix: A Deeper Look into MemSQL's Columnstore implementation
- Installing MemSQL Ops
- 6.7 LAB Install MemSQL with MemSQL Ops
- Advanced Installation Scenarios
- 6.7 LAB Install MemSQL with the MemSQL Ops CLI
- MemSQL Ops WebUI
- Common Shell Scripts with MemSQL Ops
- 6.7 LAB Multi-Node SQL with a bash shell script and the MemSQL Ops CLI
- MemSQL Ops Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Securing MemSQL and MemSQL Ops
- 6.7 LAB Secure the MemSQL Ops Web UI
- MemSQL Client to Custer and Node to Node Security
- Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
- Row Level Security
- Synchronizing Permissions
- 6.7 LAB Securing MemSQL
- 6.7 LAB Secure the root user on all nodes with MemSQL Ops
- Upgrade MemSQL Ops
- 6.7 LAB Upgrade MemSQL Ops
- MemSQL Offline and Online Upgrade
- 6.7 LAB Upgrade MemSQL with MemSQL Ops
- 6.7 LAB: Install MemSQL Studio
- Resource Governance
- Backup and Restore
- AWS S3 Backups
- 6.7 LAB Backup to and Restore from S3
- Backup History
- Transaction Models
- High Availability
- Cluster Replication
- 6.7 LAB Snapshot a Database
- Failover and Recovery
- 6.7 LAB Kill a paired Leaf node
- 6.7 LAB Manually Promote a Slave Partition to Master
- Logging, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting
- Appendix: Explain, Analyze, Profile
- Appendix: MemSQL kill scenarios
- Appendix: Working with MemSQL Support
- Requirements for Certification
- MemSQL Administrator Certification Exam
- ORDER BY ASC - Survey
A virtual training course runs for two consecutive sessions.
Each session is about 3 hours in duration.
A MemSQL Certified Instructor leads each virtual session. In each session, your instructor introduces new topics with live demonstrations. Topics align with specific learning objectives.
With each new topic, your instructor makes available the related education content and curriculum materials in your course player.
After the end of each session, you spend one to two hours completing student labs.
You and your instructor connect virtually for the duration of the course. Your instructor is available to answer question and resolve technical issues.
At the end of the virtual training, you take a course exam.
To achieve MemSQL Administrator certification, you complete the course and pass the exam.
How does MemSQL create virtual training?
We employ the ADDIE model to design and develop our education content. We Analyze needs, Design the learning, Develop the curriculum, Implement the virtual training course, and Evaluate the performance. We also employ an agile methodology for curriculum and courseware development. Based on student feedback and success, we regularly improve our virtual training courses and education content.
Do the virtual training courses align with the latest version of MemSQL?
Yes, MemSQL virtual training courses align with the most recent major and minor version of MemSQL. Because of the varying speed and cadence of maintenance releases, we are unable to update education content to support maintenance releases entirely.
What do I need to participate in virtual training?
We run all our trainings as BYOL, Bring Your Own Laptop. Virtual training requires that you simply install a WebEx meeting client. You also need to be able to SSH into an Amazon EC2 instance using a provided pem or ppk key and public IP. MemSQL supplies the pem and ppk keys, student license, and Amazon EC2 hosts that you use for student labs. Using either Chrome or Firefox, you access education content and curriculum materials for the virtual training course from a web-based, digital course player.
How do I get access to the course materials for virtual training?
As an enrolled student in a virtual training course, you will have access to course materials using the course player. The course player includes downloads of presentation materials, ebooks, white papers, and code examples.
For how long do I have access to the course player?
After enrollment, you can access your course for up to one year.
Is the certification exam separate or part of the course?
We bundle the certification exam with the course. The exam can only be taken with the course. You can learn more about certification here.
Are there recordings of each session made available for virtual training?
Yes, after the end of each session, we make available the WebEx recording. After the session ends, the file is usually available within 15 minutes. Playing the file requires a WebEx Network Player. It should be noted that we are unable to guarantee the quality or completeness of a WebEx recording. When possible, we also make available a MP4 version of the WebEx recording available. MP4 files typically take up to 48 hours to be released.
Does MemSQL offer a discount for bundling MemSQL Administrator and MemSQL Developer virtual trainings?
Yes, we offer a significant discount of 50% off the second course. Inquire about our MemSQL Quick Start Onsite Training Bundle at firstname.lastname@example.org.